Thursday, September 18, 2008

This I believe...

I believe in people giving back to people through a variety of means.
My father immigrated to America when he was sixteen. He had nothing but the clothes on his back, and some spare change. He was born in Macedonia. He left there because he wanted "to save his family." After the war, people in his village had to start over. Red Cross had to bring them meals, farms had to be regrown, houses had to be rebuilt...not to mention, spirits had to be lifted. So, my father thought that he had to come to "land of opportunity" in order to make money to send to his family. So, at 16, he and two of his friends left. The night was dark and rainy. He had to cross borders illegally (it was a Communist government then) in the dead of the night, in the pouring rain, with the fear of being shot by guards. Luckily the guards remained in watch towers when it rained, so it was difficult to be seen. He then migrated across some of Europe and made it to Italy, where he began his journey to the "land of the free." My dad immediately began working when he arrived to the USA. He continuously sent money to his father in Macedonia. He played soccer, very well I might add, and was offered a scholarship at Montclair State. What a dream come true?! My father always wanted to be a physical education teacher. However, he knew that as a student, he couldn't continue to work full time and send money to his family. So, he refused the scholarship. He instead went on to Passaic County Vocational School (at night) and became a certified Machinist. He also became a citizen of the United States. He was a proud American...He did it!
During this time, my father was introduced to my mother, via pictures and letters. They wrote letters back and forth. My father went back to Macedonia in order to marry her. He brought her here, along with four of her siblings and brought his brother here. They all have become very successful US citizens.
Here I stand today...deciding that I would be a teacher, just like my dad always wanted to be. How fortunate for me to have these opportunities to give back to my students everyday all that I have learned from my daddy.
I believe that all students need someone to ignite the fire inside them, someone to make them want to be successful...someone who is there to hold your hand through it all...yet know the exact time to let go...I hope to, at the very least, be that someone to at least one of my students every year for the rest of my career.

No comments: