Thursday, October 16, 2008

Shift Happens

What was your initial reaction to the video?
I must admit that my initial response to the video was fear. Not crazy over the top fear, but a slow churning gut feeling of fear. I am not sure if I felt this way more for myself or more because I have two small children. What will their future be like? My son (who is almost six) has an I-Pod, knows what a podcast is (because we watch space related podcasts), and hears me talking about my blog. He already plays on the computer on occasion and he is very aware of Google. My daughter (who is almost 3) knows that if I press a few keys, we can get “Dora” to help us with our ABC’s. It’s amazing what they know already. On the flip side, both of my children enjoy “reading” and the library. Neither of them have video games or a tv’s in their rooms. A parent is usually split on this decision. One day research says video games are bad, then the next you hear hat it is great for their hand-eye coordination. Which is correct? Let’s face it, technology is not going away. It is everywhere. It is incorporated in classrooms via blogging, podcasts, wikis, calculators, computers, “Elmo’s”, etc. Therefore, my fear is not necessarily of the fact that the world will not be as it is now, but fear of the unknown. What will it be like for our children? Will they be happy? Will their need for immediate gratification alter the way our society reacts to each other? Will our interpersonal skills come to a screeching halt because we are attached to texting and not talking? Is this flat world going to create such a place where children are almost communicating robotically?

What challenges must we overcome as we move forward?
The challenges we must overcome are far too numerous to state them all. However, I believe that the first step towards teaching the 21st century student is to be aware. Be aware of what new technology is out there. Be aware of the latest technologies that interest your students. Be aware when it is all too much. There will be times when a student is tired of looking at a power-point. There will be times when a student wants more interaction with humans. Be aware of when that is. Be aware of that they are not learning the way the way students did when we were younger.


Is it possible for a teacher to be an excellent teacher if he/she doesn’t use technology?
Well, I don’t really know the right or wrong answer to this. I know of an excellent teacher who barely integrates technology at all. She teaches World History. She incorporates a variety of classroom management techniques. She uses differentiated instruction…name the catch phrase of the week, she does it. She brings in artifacts from around the world, because she is a world traveler herself. She is passionate about her content area (and has visited most of the countries herself). However, she barely uses email. She barely goes on the internet. She doesn’t get her facts about the Mayan civilization from “Google”, she got it from visiting Central America. Yes, a teacher can be amazing without using technology.

1 comment:

Maria Debowska said...

Mary, I am right there with you as far as thinking ahead about what this world will be like for our children. I look at my daughter (3.5 yrs. old) and she actually takes a computer class in her daycare and she does lessons at home to reinforce what she has learned. The first time I watched her on my computer, I was in awe. Techonolgy and the way kids are being raised in this world of technology is rapidly changing.

But, my daughter also loves story time at the library and enjoys coloring and painting. So when I got over my initial fear of the video - I realized I overreacted. Yes, we need to move with the times, so I am thrilled that my daughter knows how to work a mouse, but at the same time I know she's excited about learning her ABCs so she can read.

Onto your other point - As far as being an excellent teacher without using techonology... I sort of think that a teacher does need to use technology. For example, I like to think of myself as an excellent teacher, but last year I made more use of having my students create newsletters and they loved it. By having them create these newsletters I utelized technology and made the lesson a bit more creative than simply asking them to write editorials. If we are to get our students prepared for the unknown, then at least we need to keep with the times; hence don't overdo it on the technology because personal contact is important, but so is knowing new programs and softwares that will enhance the lessons we're teaching.