Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Symphony

Picture this...I (as many of us did) had the day off of work today. My children did not. So, I had the television on, and I was listening to the news. Yes, listening, because I was multi-tasking, as many of us are doing these days. (This was actually a treat for me as I do not watch much of anything when my children are home.) I was listening to Mr. Obama speak about what he would potentially do for our country. He began to speak about education. Naturally, I began to focus a little more on what he was saying. He spoke about not teaching to the test, getting and keeping the best educators out there...and then he said (along with many other things) that he would keep art in our schools. He made a clear point to say that our future depends on developing the whole child. I then began thinking about what Pink wrote and how he said that symphony is about seeing relationships. At that moment, I connected what I read in Pink's book to Mr. Obama...and decided...

I couldn't agree more.

Unfortunately, as a math person, I am most likely considered a left-brainer. Although, I understand the importance of putting the pieces together, people would probably assume that I am more logical than anything else. However, even as a "left-brainer" I still believe that symphony should play a role in everyones classroom. Yes, it is the ability to see the "big picture." This ability goes way beyond an art classroom. In my classroom, students have the ability to share their thoughts on the content I am teaching. I have students telling me they learned the same material in different ways...others tell me that they have never seen it all. (Mind you, they are coming from the same classes!) However, when I take the math lingo out of the conversation, that is when they understand it most. I had students not understand what variables were...then I changed the variables for objects and magically they understood. Some of the students did not welcome the symbolism, they wanted more. When they have the opportunity to have manipulatives in hand, or figure out for themselves what I am asking from them...all of a sudden, they make a connection. They are able to see the relationships to real life situations, and why the "stuff" I am teaching is actually worth something! SYMPHONY! Math is not just about numbers and signs! If you allow it, math can be like music. There can be many different steps necessary to get to that end result, but we don't have to all dance the same way to get there. My students know that they do not have to do it my way, as long as it's mathematically legitimate. I encourage them to see the big picture. Telling them stories and relating them to math. Allowing them to draw and explain their answers...I do not try to squash that right brain...I encourage it!

I have a student who is a true artist. She is constantly drawing. She takes my notes in artistic form. It is amazing to see her write notes (that only she usually understands)! Most of her notes are sketches, but she understands her relation to what I am teaching. She can write a logical two-column proof with pictures. Many of her teachers complain about her doodling...I tell them that I allow it. They, in turn, think I am completely wrong. This student just took one of the most difficult tests that I will give in this marking period, and she got every question correct! She is artistic, why would I squander that? As long as she is listening and contributing, and understands what I am trying to teach...I have no problem with her "doodling." The mere fact that she has the ability to work with both sides of her brain and excel should be applauded.

5 comments:

Maria Debowska said...

It's great that you can handle your student "doodling." In my class when students take notes it's for their benefit, so as long as they understand and learn from their notes, then that's good enough for me.

But, I think if I were a math teacher I would have a tough time accepting "doodling" because after all, where are the concrete facts and digits. So, it's great that as a left-brainer, you can appreciate that students learn differently and can allow for that difference, and even encourage it.

Mary Giacomarro said...

I can see your point about accepting the "doodling." She is in a gifted and talented class. Curretnly, we are learning various rules and laws of logic. Much of what is said, is like a story (but often not written that way.) That is probably why I am so accepting of it. We'll see how patient I am when we're more involved in Algebra!

Maria Debowska said...

Good luck when it's time for some more involved Algebra.

But, somehow I think you and your students will be just fine.

Barry Bachenheimer said...

Your point about Obama is interesting. Funny that Laura Bush is a teacher, yet that didn't top/change No Child Left Behind....

Joe said...

I am also a math teacher and symphony is almost aimed right at us. The idea of symphony and understanding the small details that lead to the larger picture or relationship happens everyday in our classes. Math is about understanding and applying the smaller steps before you can get the right answer or larger picture. If you cannot understand the smaller steps how can you see the final outcome.